Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Legal Authority

I do not consider myself to be a quitter. However, that being said this project almost made me do just that. I have never had such a horrific experience in trying to get a lawyer to answer my question. I attempted 13 different times to make contact with 13 different local law firms in order to be granted an interview to discuss intellectual property laws. It was single most frustrating thing I have done thus far in my college career. I tried various approaches to obtain an interview.  I started out by saying I was an industry professional, that didn’t work. Then I said I was a college student doing a school project that also did not work either. I was however able to leave a voicemail with some of them but know return calls. The local law offices that I actually spoke to someone stated I needed to be a client of theirs before they could give me any legal advice. So as a last ditch effort before I threw in the towel and except an “F” on my final project I decided to go web. I found a site (www.whglawfirm.com) where some of my intellectual property questions had been answered so I called the number (866-970-0186) at the top of the page I spoke to the receptionist (I forgot her name) who connected me to Mr. Van Looper (one of the associate lawyers). I told him that I was a law student doing a project and I wanted to talk to him about some the questions that they had posted on their website. He told me he could not give out free legal advice on the phone. I told him I did not want legal advice I just wanted to read to what was posted on the site and for him to tell me if his law firm stood by the answers that they posted. I read him the questions, he then put me on hold for 3 minutes and when he came back on the line I asked him the questions and read him the answers posted. Mr. Van Looper stated that the answers were correct and his law firm stood behind them. I thanked him for his time. The law firm of Wang, Hartmann, Gibbs and Cauley, P.L.C. was established in 1994 and is one of the fast growing law firms concentrating in business litigation and intellectual property rights in the western United States, Asia, and Europe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment