Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week 1 EOC: My Voice

            In case you are wondering about the name it is the first two letters of each of my son's names. It will also serve as the name of my company should everything go according to plan. I have always had interest in creating and building things. Looking back on my childhood there are things now that stand out as a starting point for my interest in interior design (although back then interior design was not a label I would have assign to what I was doing). My brothers and I would go outside in our backyard and construct these primitive forts out of the wood my Dad used for the fireplace. We also used the 2x4s boards my Dad had on the side of his tool shed. We would get our toy guns and shoot at each other from behind the safety of our forts. Needless to say my Father did not think we were all that creative. I enjoyed building forts even though they were torn down at the end of the day and we would have to start over from scratch the next time we played forts..lol.  My Dad was one of those do-it-yourself kind of guys. He did not like paying for thing that he felt he could do for himself. So during my childhood my brothers and I would always have a front row seat to my Dads projects. He could build tool sheds and lay concrete for things like porches, sidewalk, and driveways. He did this for people in his spare time as a side gig for extra money. Often times my brothers and I would involuntarily tag along (we hated going with him on these jobs by the way...lol). He taught us however, how to use a hand saw and a skill saw. He taught us how to nail a hammer into a board properly (according to him). I knew the difference between a flathead and phillips screwdriver by the time I was 4 years old. But now that I am older and have kids of my own I have come to certain realizations. First thing is I like fixing and doing things around my house and I feel proud of myself once it is completed a task. Secondly, I love HGTV and have often thought to myself " that's looks great I could do that". Thirdly, my Dad wasn't big on the warm fuzzies but taking us along with him was his way of spending time with us and saying I love you. Interior design isn't something that I decided to do one day it is something that I developed a love for over my lifetime. It has always been a part of who I am I just didn’t know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment