Thursday, October 28, 2010

Week 4 EOC: Death Race Jeopardy

The Death Race Jeopardy was a very unique way of learning definition. It actually made learn the definition in order to create a suitable question and answer. Also listening and reading my classmates answer, which in some cases close to what I had written for my own project, only reinforced the definition in mind. For instance; abandonment of patent application which came up quite a few times during the game means that if an applicant fails to response in a timely manner to an action or request initiated by the United States Patent and Trademark Office then it is considered abandon. Other definition that came up frequently was misuse of patent which refers to the use of a patent in a manner that violates federal patent or antitrust laws may result in the patent being declared invalid or unenforceable by the court. I also learned that there are two basic types of patents claims: independent and dependent. Independent claims are statements that stand by themselves. Dependent claims are statements that rely on another claim for part of their description. This project also educated me on court case that I otherwise would not have learned. Such as Graham v. John Deere which created the guidelines for determining when an invention is nonobvious (which I think is only word in the context of discussing patent and trademarks…lol). Speaking of nonobvious it is define as the ability of the invention to produce unexpected or surprising new results. Something I learned in the process of doing this project that now stuck in my head. All in all “Death Race Jeopardy” was a great way to learn and retain definition. Now I am not saying I remember everything I wrote or everything I heard but I certainly recall more doing this exercise that I would have otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment